Lesson learned - Spontaneous ignition of escaped product

A Stork employee suffered a first aid case with high potential during the removal of a flanged connection. Hydrogen (H2) in the pipe spontaneously ignited and the  flame shot up his sleeve of one employee, under his fire-retardant clothing and up his arm. His colleague dived off the scaffolding (70-75 cm high) on seeing the flash.

During the removal of a flange connection, there was a flash resulting from the spontaneous ignition of hydrogen (H2) in the pipe. The flame shot up the sleeve of one employee, under his fire-retardant clothing and up his arm. The other employee dived off the scaffolding (70-75 cm high) on seeing the flash.

Tijdens het demonteren van een flensverbinding is er een steekvlam ontstaan door zelfontbranding van waterstof (H2) in de leiding. De vlam is in de mouw van de ene medewerker, onder de brandvertragende kleding, langs zijn arm omhoog geslagen. De andere medewerker is bij het zien van de steekvlam van de steiger (70-75 cm hoog) gedoken.

Download the lessons learned to find out more...

Downloads

pdf Lessons learned - Zelfontbranding van vrijgekomen product 113 KB Download
pdf Lessons learned - Spontaneous ignition of escaped product 108 KB Download
Share this article