Novel Industrial Blasting Technology
Preventing hazardous build up of loose dust in and around safety-critical equipment, such as HVACR air intakes and turbines is crucial to ensure the safe operation and production of an installation. Stork was contracted by a client to find an effective and innovative way of avoiding hazardous dust build up, which would positively impact their maintenance plan and in turn reduce unwanted expenditure. Due to our experience in industrial blasting and coatings, Stork was chosen to assist our client in piloting a blasting innovation; engaging with specialists to improve the safety and effectiveness of the pilot.
Stork worked with the latest technology and industry partners to bring a proven, safety-certified solution to our client. Through an extensive study of our client’s challenges, Stork found a solution that would deliver cost savings due to the reduction of man-hours required and safety gains for more demanding dust-prone areas. The blasting technology selected recycles abrasive media through a closed loop, to produce a natural feathered edge and cleanliness standard of SA 2.5. The unit’s attachment has been specifically designed for the containment of dust and any static spark that may be generated from the impact of abrasive onto the substrate. Our client approved to pilot the system as Stork is a long-standing and trusted supplier in the UK North Sea.
Results & benefits
The pilot was assessed, planned and executed successfully using the innovative system which demonstrated the technology could bring about added value for our client through an array of benefits:
- No habitat installation was required – 100% of dust and spent abrasive was contained.
- 34% reduction in man hours as habitat installation not required for highly sensitive areas.
- Far lower requirements for scaffolding and post-job clean up.
- Elimination of Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS) risk, and the associated lost time.
- Significantly lower respiratory and eye injury risks, and the associated lost time.
- System highly effective in areas where conventional blasting was not possible.
- 30% more efficient than mechanical surface treatment methods.