Laser Cladding - innovative technology
Increase the lifetime of critical high wear components.
Laser cladding - with its origin in the aerospace industry - is an advanced lasertechnique for applying metallic coatings to components using a powerful diode laser. It is used for the protection against wear and corrosion of new components and the repair of damaged components.
After thorough research in cooperation with worldclass research institutes Stork Gears & Services diskovered the enormous advantages and possibilities of laser cladding. Over the years, our Laser Cladding department is fully equipped to respond quickly and accurately to the wishes of our customers. Our laser cladding equipment may be used to apply different coatings and can even be operated onsite.
On-site Laser Cladding
Why laser cladding
Laser cladding has many applications and is used for all kinds of surface treatments. It is often used for the modification and repair of critical high wear components that are exposed to highly abrasive and corrosive environments in demanding industries (see "Industries who can benefit").
It can be used for the following purposes:
- to add a new coating to gearbox components such as the gearbox housing;
- to upgrade existing components by applying a coating that meets specific requirements;
- to restore worn out parts back to their original dimensions.
Existing welding methods require a much higher heat input that may result in distortion of the component. The thermal input of the lasercladbeam can be precisely controlled. Therefore laser cladding is suitable for all kinds of damaged and new components in which a minimum of distortion and a maximum of high precision is demanded.
Advantages of laser cladding
Important technical and economical advantages are gained compared with conventional welding methods, e.g:
- High precision and high quality
- Fast repair times
- 100% metallic adhesion
- Minimal dilution with the base metal
- Minimal heat input and distortion
- Superior properties:
- No porosity
- Homogeneous distribution of the elements
- Excellent control of the layer thickness
- Controlled minimum mixing