System scaffolding challenges at UKCS operator
Stork was contracted by a major UKCS operator who presented a number of challenges.
• A faster erecting and dismantling scaffold system.
• Reduction of manual handling and loads applied to aging steel structures.
• The scaffold material had to resist the effect of corrosion compared to the conventional tube and fittings.
• Eliminate the requirement for using scaffold fittings.
SolutionsAfter conducting a comprehensive research and development programme, Stork succesfully sourced and implemented Alustars's aluminium system. This system has a robust and highly proven offshore trackrecord, having been used extensively within the Norwegian and Danish sectors of the North Sea. Prior to implementation, Stork provided full training for all scaffolders involved.
• Over 60% reduction in manual handling for all scaffolders.
• Faster installation time compared to conventional scaffold access (less than 50% of time).
• Reduction in scaffold tonnage required i.e. 24.0 Te as opposed to 60.0 Te in comparison to conventional material.
• As the tubular components are 48.3 external diameter, traditional fittings/tubes can be attached.
When: August, 2017
Product: Alustar Aluminium System Scaffolding
Safety: Project delivered safely, on time and with no incidents